Sunday, March 9, 2008

'Superhuman' Michael Shows He's the Great DeBakey

Dr. Michael DeBakey is nearing his centenarian status and not letting up. Well, since the surgery a couple years ago that lengthened his life.

"I've made tremendous progress since I was so weak I couldn't get out of bed," he says. "I know I'm not going to be normal at 99, but I'd like to get back to a reasonably normal life. There are things I'd still like to do."

It's a remarkable recovery, even for a man whom friends recall as seeming superhuman in their earliest memories. He is the oldest person not only to survive surgery to repair a tear to the heart's primary artery, the aorta, but also to even undergo such an operation.

In the aftermath, DeBakey says, "I was like tissue."
If he had only spent his days creating the fountain of youth, DeBakey might just live forever.

[Houston Chronicle]

No comments: