Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Two Thumbs Up May Soon Be All Roger Ebert Has Left

Movie critic Roger Ebert goes into surgery Thursday that he hopes will free him of complications from previous operations related to his bouts with cancer, Chicago Sun-Times media columnist Robert Feder reported.

Quoting from a blog entry Ebert is expected to post on Wednesday, Feder reported that some movie reviews in the Pulitzer Prize-winning critic's absence will be written by Jim Emerson, editor of his Web site, rogerebert.com."On Jan. 24, I'll have another surgery, which I hope will solve some problems I've still been living with," Ebert's entry said. "I'll be in a hospital for a while (nothing like last time, I trust!). I have written a lot of advance reviews, Great Movies and even Answer Man columns for use during my absence. I plan to return full-time as soon as possible."
It's been over five years since Ebert was first diagnosed with thyroid cancer. Since having that cancer successfully removed, however, he's faced several surgeries for cancer of the salivary gland and had an artery burst. A tracheotomy in 2006 has also left him with voice difficulties, requiring him to speak through a computerized voice system.

We have to think that the surgeon performing this operation will finish up with his patented line "This surgery is closed."

[Editor & Publisher]

No comments: